I’ve started tinkering again with our autonomous vehicle that failed so miserably at Sparkfun AVC 2015. My focus so far has been on the compass, which I suspect was one of the bigger contributors to our poor performance. Some tests confirmed that the compass was very inaccurate so I took the time to learn how to calibrate the compass this… Read more »
Over the Christmas break, I have set up a dedicated web site as a central place to put information for my voice changer shield kit. I have also converted the software into an Arduino Library with example sketches, making installation simpler. The ring modulator example sketch is also now much easier to understand as a result, since all of the… Read more »
I have 12 voice changer kits in stock over on my Tindie store. These kits are for an Arduino Uno shield that lets you create various voice effects, such as a ring modulator effect, as used to create the voices of Cybermen and Daleks in Doctor Who. For more information, see my main Ultimate Voice Changer Arduino Shield page.
I wanted to print something on my Taz 4 today, but I was greeted with an “Error: MINTEMP” message when I powered the printer up. I assumed it was simply down to my garage being too cold (it was somewhere around 20F as far as I know). I contacted Lulzbot support to see if there would be issues starting the… Read more »
I started learning the Rust programming language about a week ago and have high hopes for this becoming one of the main languages I start to use professionally. Before that though, I wanted to find a hobby project to give me more motivation for working with the language on a regular basis, so I spent much of this weekend researching how… Read more »
When I purchased my 3D printer almost a year ago, my main interest was in being able to design my own objects to print. I was able to print some simple mounts using SketchUp but have struggled to advance beyond simple designs for a long time. Recently, I learned about OnShape from my local makerspace. OnShape is a browser-based, hosted CAD… Read more »
With Halloween approaching, I recently ordered a latex Ood mask from China for around $25. It’s pretty realistic, but the costume would not be complete without a translation sphere, so I had to make one! Here’s a photo of me trying out the full costume for the first time. This was a really simple project that was fun to put together. The… Read more »
I’ve owned a TAZ 4 for around 9 months and it has been a pretty frustrating experience to date, resulting in me getting very little value out of this printer so far. The issues are not specific to the TAZ 4, which I think is a great piece of hardware, but more an issue with having it sitting in my home… Read more »
Well, that could have gone better… SparkFun AVC 2015 is over and was an epic fail for G-Force 2.0, our entry this year. G-Force 2.0 was a minor update of our 2014 entry, which came in second place in peloton class. This year, the chassis was made from laser cut wood and was much smaller and lighter than last year, allowing me to use faster motors with… Read more »
This weekend I wired up all components in G-Force using an Arduino Mega and a breadboard. I’ll replace this with a custom board soon, but this is good enough for testing. I managed to test all components individually and can now start implementing the navigation software.