This weekend I made the base for the skirt to sit on and fixed the hemis in place by gluing them onto cardboard circles (slight larger than the hemis) and then using duct tape to hold them in place inside the skirt.
Since the last post I’ve been working on the frame for the shoulder section as well as the neck cage and the neck rings. The neck rings were made using a router table with a 45 degree angle bit to cut the outside of the rings.
I enjoyed building the small Dalek so much that I’ve decided to build a full size one this time! I have no idea how long this will take or where we are going to keep it but I’m hoping it can be completed in time for Halloween and at least give the trick or treaters some fun. I’m starting with… Read more »
I couldn’t find a suitable size plunger so I improvised and used the lid from a toddler’s drinking bottle. I spray painted this black and used two pieces of aluminum tube for the plunger arm. I made the gun from piece of wooden dowel, spray painted to look metallic. I used a 1/16″ drill bit to make holes for… Read more »
I’ve made a lot of progress since my last post. First of all the neck cage was constructed. I used aluminum fly screen mesh held in place with black electrical tape. The neck rings were spray painted the same color as the skirt. The dome I made didn’t work out too well. It was too thick and it ha shrunk… Read more »
Here’s a quick video of the Dalek so far. I’m using an Arduino microcontroller with three ultra-sonic sensors in the fender for obstacle detection and an L293D IC to drive two small motors. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fCpFaN7nNV4] Here are some photos of the electronics in the fender. Once I’ve finalized the design I plan on making a single PCB to hold all the… Read more »
This weekend I sprayed the skirt with “GM Gunmetal Gray Metallic” aerosol spray paint and I’m pretty pleased with the results. I also sprayed some ping pong balls with a flat black paint. This is now really starting to look like a Genesis Dalek. I also created a fender from some 3mm MDF with 1 inch wide strips of hobby wood… Read more »
Once all the panels were glued on and the glue had dried, I used sandpaper to trim down any panels that were higher than the skirt top and also smoothed the joints between the panels. I then used spackling paste to fill gaps and cracks and sanded again once that had dried. Next, I used some gray primer spray paint… Read more »
I found an excellent web site at http://www.projectdalek.co.uk/ that provides plans for building various models of Dalek. I’ve decided to build a classic “Genesis Dalek” from the 70’s. This is the Dalek that I used to watch from behind the sofa as a child. I decided to start off with building the Dalek’s “skirt”. This is basically the bottom half of the… Read more »