So this is what happens when your fun hobby project gets featured on Hackaday. I guess I’ve had my 5 minutes of fame and now I have gone back to obscurity. It’s interesting to note that this traffic spike to my YouTube videos only netted me a couple of bucks in revenue so I’m still several years away from receiving… Read more »
I’ve started tinkering again with our autonomous vehicle that failed so miserably at Sparkfun AVC 2015. My focus so far has been on the compass, which I suspect was one of the bigger contributors to our poor performance. Some tests confirmed that the compass was very inaccurate so I took the time to learn how to calibrate the compass this… Read more »
My Dad told me about the Darby Digger many years ago and I just saw another mention of it today and I thought I’d share it here. The Darby Digger was a steam-driven machine for ploughing fields. It was invented around 20 years earlier than the tractor that we are familiar with today. My great grandfather, Robert Hasler, helped build it. Here’s a… Read more »
I created this colorful lantern using some Neopixel LEDs from Adafruit. In terms of electronics, this is a very simple project. It is just an Arduino-compatible microcontroller (I used an Adafruit Trinket) and 12 Neopixel LEDs (also from Adafruit). [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFn0sFFX5B0] The LEDs are mounted on some cardstock and connected together with breadboard female-female jumper cables. The lantern is also lined with… Read more »
This weekend I have taken 28 “acrylic fillable ball ornaments” and remove the eye that is used for hanging them up and then painted them on the inside only with some Rustoleum black paint. Painting them on the inside gives them a nice glossy look from the outside.
The skirt for the new Dalek is coming together fast. Here are the current photos.
It took a while to figure out how to get the electronics working, but I finally got there with some help from the Pololu support forums. Here is the first test run! [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py-SzWRwSZ8]
I found a ball shaped screwdriver handle that was almost the perfect dimensions for the eye. It is a little larger than scale but I think it will work OK. I spray painted it black and spray painted a pen gray for the eye stalk (there is a wooden dowel inside for support). For the ears I am using plastic… Read more »
The shoulder section is a fairly simple task. I cut some plywood pieces and fixed them together with some brackets left over from some flat pack furniture and some gorilla glue. I will be wrapping some poster board around this section later on.
Welcome to my new blog. It’s been a few years since I last had a blog but I’ve started working on a couple of home projects lately that I want to document and decided that a blog would be the best medium for that. One of the topics I studied at school was electronics and it was one of those… Read more »